Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Sunday 6 April 2014

Book Review: 'The Perks of being a Wallflower'

Hey,

So again it has come to the time of my monthly book review. This months book is called ‘The Perks of being a Wallflower’ by Stephen Chbosky.


I heard about this book after the film, which I am yet to see, came out a few years ago. My sister read it before me and I thought it might become an interesting read, as I remember there being a hype about the film.
Overall I think this book is ok, and defiantly a good read but not a favourite of mine.

The book is written very well, and each page kept surprising me with its contents. Stephen Chbosky writes in a way that is simple to read but it still keeps you hooked.

The Perks of being a Wallflower is written in a letter style, which I found unusual but also quite refreshing to read. The main character of the story is Charlie, a boy who is just starting high school and the story takes you through the highs and lows of his first year. It is filled with love and sorrow, disasters and achievements. Through the story you learn more and more about Charlie, and as a reader you begin to really feel his thoughts.

The Perks of being a Wallflower took me a while to really get hooked to the storyline at the start but after I got into the plot, I read pages and pages and pages.
I think the book makes you feel quite inspired, as you learn how Charlie has to face challenges and overcome them. Parts are sad, other parts are very sweet and overall I think the book gave me a personal sense of freedom and awareness of my own life. I am in senior school, so I could relate to a lot of the thoughts Charlie had in his school life.

I would recommend this to anyone who liked the film, as I’m sure it is better than the film. I would also say that this book it 13+ due to some of its contents, but really that’s just an estimate as some minds mature earlier or later than that.


If you have read The Perks of being a Wallflower I would love to hear what you think, also comment down below any books you would recommend or want me to review. Thanks, have a nice day,

No comments:

Post a Comment