Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Sunday 15 March 2015

History of Fashion - 1950s | Collab with Glitter Melody


Hey,

So today’s post is going to be something new and different, so I hope you’ll enjoy it. I have always loved clothes and fashion since I was little and one area that I find particularly interesting is the history of fashion. Consequently, today’s post is a fashion post inspired by the 1950s! Furthermore, today’s post is a collab with the wonderful Hannah from the amazing blog Glitter Melody. Hannah has a great blog and one that it’s clear to see she works so hard on, so I would definitely recommend checking it out here!**** She does fab outfit posts and I love hearing her thoughts!


The 1940s were a time of having little and dealing with war-time rations in England. Women’s fashion dipped and clothes had to be re-worn, re-styled and nothing new was brought in. So when the war ended, and eventually rations did, and women got the chance to make new garments with new materials and the 1950s fashion was born.

This fun, bright concoction of patterns and colours are a huge symbol, iconic in the 1950s look. Ladies wanted an opportunity to express creativity and have individuality, and the new garments did this.


A classic style of the 1950s were the full-skirted party dresses. Layers of fabric and petticoats shaped the new look, with rounded skirts seen in ladies’ wardrobes all through the country. Dresses were to the knee, generally not longer or shorter, and were perfect for dancing about. The silhouette was simple yet definitive, with a large skirt and a tiny waist. Waites were kept thin and flattering, sometimes held in with a belt of accessorised with a big bow. Designers experimented with new necklines meaning every dress looked and felt different and unique.
Fabrics gave women a chance to have choose what they wanted and patterns such as spots and floral were highly popular.

The 1950s also inspired many hairstyles still worn till this day. One look, a favourite of mine, is the long-haired high ponytail. With icons such as Audrey Hepburn, this look became hugely popular- loved especially by young girls and teens. Volume and twisted hair was also an admired asset to a good hairstyle in this period.

Makeup was also kept understated but had a twist. The face and eyes were basic, creamy skin and soft lashes, but women wore bold bright red lips. This look is one seen throughout history but was quite eccentric at the time!


So now it is time to show you my reconstruction of the look. Although I haven’t matched it identically, I think I’ve taken key statements from the style and added a more modern touch. As this was a history of fashion, I also decided to dig out one of my skirts that I haven’t worn for years- I decided this one was fitting and features the full shaped look.
I matched the monochrome skirt with my trusted H&M crop top, tucked in, which gave me a lovely rounded neckline and capped sleeves. Then I took a thick elastic belt and fitted it around the waist to accentuate the silhouette.  

I then decided not to overdo it with too many accessories, but you could add a scarf around the neck or a tie in the hair. For layers, you could also add a jacket, denim or leather, to keep the theme.
For hair, I had mine straightened already that day, so all I did was popped it up into a high pony but twisted some hair at the front to add shape.
Then to finish off, I added my Revlon Colourstay matte lip pencil in the shade ‘Red Essential’ for the bold lip.

And that’s all! I hope you enjoyed this because I know that I certainly did! The history of fashion is so facinaqting to me and it’s great to know the looks all our clothes are inspired by.

Now it’s time to head on over to see Hannah’s post and outfit, which you’ll enjoy. I just wanted to say a big thanks to Hannah as well because it’s been wonderful collabing again! Also, if you are one of Hannah’s followers then I’d like to say thank you for coming over to my page and I hope you’ve enjoyed my blog post. If you want to see more than just have a click around or follow me on the social media below- I’m always up for new feedback and advice too!


So that’s all for today. I’m sorry I missed an upload of Wednesday but I’ve been super busy with school and hadn’t pre-planned! For now, I hope you all have a lovely day and I’ll see you all midweek! 

Social networking-

No comments:

Post a Comment