Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Sunday 11 October 2015

My Haircare - Products + Tips

Hey everyone. So, my name is Lydia and I have thick curly brown hair. I like my hair, it is one of the things that I like most about my appearance. However, my hair is prone to fizziness and dryness like the next girl. So here, I thought I’d share with you a few of my hair tips and a few of my favourite hair products- on a budget.



My hair story. As a child, I had far curlier hair, which fell in mad ringlets. However, as I got older, the curliness has softened to a more subtle look. In my child years, my mother also decided that a full fringe and a low ponytail was a good look- it was not, especially with my overly round face. Through my teen years, I decided that a fringe did not work well and now my side parting has been hanging around for a fair while. I also rebelled from my mother’s odd ponytail choices and grew it longer. For a while now my hair has been similar to how it is now, boob-length and curly but not really curly. This year was the first time I really experimented a little- trying curling it more and straightening it on the odd occasion. So here I am now, with the hair I have now, and here are my favourite tips and products.


#1 The hairdryer is my enemy. I soon learnt, when I got the age when my mother wouldn’t do it for me, that hair-drying my hair is bad. Not only can I not cope with the mundane task of it all, but it also leaves my hair looking mad and frizzy- with flat curls and an aching arm. As my hair often feels a little dry anyway, I try to avoid using unnecessary heat, especially if it’s on a regular basis. So my tip is, if you have rather dry hair and hair dry it religious- give it a break, see what it’s like after a few weeks of air-drying it. You never know- it may work!

#2 Overnight for my hair is the chance for it to rebel and hate me. Leaving my hair down, no matter how nice it looked the day before is a major no-go. Unless tomorrow is a hair-wash day, I mostly can’t leave it. There is the odd occasion, where I can’t be bothered and try to avoid sleeping on it, but most morning I wake up to it being an ugly mess. This means on most nights I plait it. Two Dutch plaits. Not only do they get my hair out of my face and leave me cooler, but they result in a nice wave in my hair the next day. This is fab for days when I can’t be bothered and don’t have time- so most school mornings.


#3 Find a shampoo and conditioner that works for you. It took me quite a while to realise that the shampoo and conditioner that I use needs to work for my hair. My mother and sister have straight hair, I am the only curly one in the family, so their shampoo really didn’t help. I trialled different ones for ages, from cheap to pricy, and in the end I found the John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curl products to be the best. They’re not cheap, but not too pricy and are often on offer. I’ve been using them for a long time now, maybe over a year, and I wrote a full review on them back last year.


#4 Other products I like vary from brand to brand. For years and years I have used a curl mousse, the VO5 Smoothly Does It one is my favourite, and in recent times I have also experimented with serums. I’ve tried a few- the Aussie Dual Personality Styling Curl Definition & Soft Feel Serum, the VO5 Frizz cream and Frizz Ease Anti-frizz primer to name a few. I like them all for different reasons, but definitely notice a difference when I use one or a few of them after a wash.


#5 My final tip is accept your hair. We all have bad hair days, when I’m writing this was one of them. I plaited my hair last night, when it was still a little damp, and it went bonkers today. Kinks and waves all in the wrong places. It went a bit too fluffy and no number of bobby pins who control it (they’d just end of falling out by 3 15). So I just accepted that. I let my hair do its own thing, fall naturally- no matter how daft I looked. The thing is, you are more bothered by what your hair looks like then anyone else.

So there they are. If you have any questions, or tips, then leave them in the comments. What’s your hair like? Any favourite products? Thanks for reading, I hope you have a wonderful week, much love, 
Find me on...